National Quarantine and Environmental Services
The National Plant Quarantine Service is a regulatory service under the Department of Technical Service, Ministry of Agriculture, it was created for the enforcing of quarantine regulations which seek to prevent the entries of pest and diseases into the country.
Quarantine in Liberia is to regulate sanitary & phytosanitary measures (animal including fish, plant and food health status) in connection with the import and export of agricultural products with a view to minimizing the risk to agricultural economy, food safety and the environment. The main objective of Plant & Animal Quarantine Services (PAQS) is to prevent the introduction, establishment and spread of animal and zoonotic diseases as well as pests of plants including their products. plant & Animal Quarantine Services (PAQS) also undertakes emergency protocol to control or manage invasive species incursion or epidemic outbreak in collaboration with key stakeholders. plant & Animal Quarantine Services (PAQS) ensures that our agricultural exports meet with international standards in line with International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC), Office International des Epizootics (OIE), representing the World Organization for Animal Health, WTO/ SPS (Sanitary& phytosanitary measures) for international trade and protection of Endangered Species (CITES).
The plant & Animal Quarantine Services is working in close collaboration with eleven biogeographically regions on the global basis.
- Food & Agriculture Organization (FAO) IPPC & OIE
- Animal & Plant Health Inspection Services (APHIS), USDA,
- European and Mediterranean Plant Protection Organization (EPPO), EU
- Inter-African Phytosanitary Council (IAPSC), AU.
- Organismo International Regional de Sanidad Agropecuria (OIRSA),
- Plant Protection Committee for the South-East Asia and Pacific Region (SEAPPC),
- Near East Plant Protection Commission (NEPPC), Comite Interameicano de Protection Agricola (CIPA),
- Caribbean Plant Protection Commission (CPPC),
- North American Plant Protection Organization (NAPPO),
- Organismo Bolivariano de Sanidad Agropecuria (OBSA), and
- ASEAN region grouping of Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, and Singapore.
Documentation issue by the Plant & Animal Quarantine Services (PAQS) at Ministry of Agriculture are:
- Phytosanitary certificate,
- Phyto-certificate of origin
- Zoo-Sanitary certificate
- Standard certificate,
- Import permit and
- Export permit
Official Contacts Point (MOA, IPPC, SPS-NEP, AU-IAPSC)
Augustus B.G. Fahnbulleh
Director, Plant & Animal Quarantine Services
Department of Technical Services, Ministry of Agriculture
Phone: +231 777439982 / +231 886439982
Lawrence T. Massaquoi
Assistant Director/ Plant & Animal Quarantine Services
Department of Technical Services
(Focal person ECOWAS Sahelian pesticide Committee (SPC)
(Animal & Plant Health Inspection Services (APHIS)
Tel. +231 776 178723 / +231 886543623
Official E-mail: email@example.com